Monday 18 May 2015

Forde Abbey & Gardens; Part 1

I am a bad, bad blogger, not updating for ages. That being said I have loads of lovely photos to share, by loads I mean I took over 500 photos, though obviously not all are that good. I still have plenty to post and I'm going to start with our trip to Forde Abbey House & Gardens.

Of course you can guarantee we managed to visit the one day a week the house wasn't open to the public but we still had a fabulous time.

A little bit of background info; Forde Abbey was built circa 1148 and flourished for over 400 years, it was handed over to the Crown during the dissolution of the monasteries and for the next 100 years was owned by different landlords until 1649 when it was purchased by Edmund Prideaux who was largely responsible for transforming it into a private residence. It was his ancestors who also created the gardens which surround Forde Abbey. From then on it was rented a few more times until in 1863 it was sold to a Mrs Bertram Evans, passed from her son, to his cousin Elizabeth Roper in 1905 and down through her family to this day.

It was a beautiful place just to walk around, dogs on leads welcome, a lovely tearoom with some of the best tea I've had out and about and really friendly staff. If we're in the area another time I hope to visit again, this time when the house is open too as the website shows it looking stunning.

 In the next post I'll show more photos of the gardens rather than try put it all in one long post now, and I'll try not to leave it so long between posts this time.

Love 
Teacup
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment